How to Recognize a Natural Gas Leak
Posted by xadmin on March 28, 2017
The purpose of this message is to inform the public that the City of Zachary has buried gas pipelines throughout the gas service area that provide safe reliable energy to its customers. The City of Zachary maintains these pipelines to a high standard and they are considered reliable. We would like to remind you that before you dig in and around any gas facilities contact:
ONE-CALL SYSTEM DIAL 811
Help us keep you SAFE!
HOW TO RECOGNIZE A NATURAL GAS LEAK?
Natural gas leaks may be detected by one of the following indications on or near our pipelines right-of-way:
1. A gaseous or hydrocarbon odor.
2. A blowing or hissing sound.
3. Dust is blowing from a hole in the ground.
4. Continuous bubbling in one spot in a wet or flooded area.
5. Dead vegetation (grass, shrubs or trees.)
6. Abnormally dry or hardened soil.
7. Fire is apparently coming from the ground or burning above the ground. If you suspect a natural gas leak in your home: Contact the City of Zachary Maintenance Department 225 654-0201 and open the windows and ventilate, and leave the building if the odor is very strong. Don't light a match, do not smoke and don't turn any electrical switches or appliances on or off.
CAUTION: Gas that has accumulated in a confined space is subject to EXPLOSION. Please stay away from the immediate area of any suspected gas leak and contact the City of Zachary Gas Maintenance Department.
NOTE: The City of Zachary does NOT maintain buried piping between the gas meter and the house or business. The customer is responsible for maintaining and repairing this section of gas piping from leakage. These buried gas lines should be checked periodically for leakage.
If you need additional information, suspect a natural gas leak or in case of an emergency concerning a City of Zachary gas main or service line, immediately call: OFFICE (225) 654-0201 (24 hours)