The first library in Zachary opened in 1939 in the old Town Hall. Later, it was located in the old Zachary post office and in a building on Main Street. In 1966, the Library was moved to a space connected to the Louisiana National Bank building and later expanded into a meeting room in the building.
In 2001, land was purchased for a site for a new library for Zachary. In December, 2002, officials and citizens of Zachary and East Baton Rouge Parish, and Library Board members and staff participated in the ground breaking for the new library.
The Zachary Branch Library, a beautiful modern and spacious facility, provides separate areas for adults and young people, with reference desks, reading and study areas, and spaces for exhibits and displays. The entrance foyer leads directly to the circulation desk, where staff members can easily see and greet patrons. The Library houses a large collection of books, magazines, and newspapers, CDs, videos and recorded books.
Free wireless Internet access is available at this branch.