Utility Billing/Cashier Director
Monica Jackson serves as the Utility Billing/Cashier’s Director. As Director, she oversees the activities of the Utility Billing Division and Accounts Payable; managing all aspects of billing, payment collection, cash balancing and customer relations. Her knowledge acquired from the banking and business development industry has been an asset to the City of Zachary. She has held this position since 2017.
The City of Zachary offers water, gas, sewer and garbage. Not every home in Zachary has all services. And there are different rates for customers who are inside and outside our city limits.
All water and gas meter readings are the responsibility of the City of Zachary. The City of Zachary reads meters on a monthly basis. In an attempt to provide better service, the City combined technology by installing an automatic meter reading system (AMR). This enabled the City to reduce meter reading time and manpower, provide highly reliable and accurate meters, as well as gain the ability to link meter data transfer to the billing process. Getting familiar with where your water meter is located and how it works is easy to do and can be very helpful to you in monitoring your property’s water use and any potential leaks.
Any citizen needing assistance with water, sewer and gas issues can contact this office or stop by this location. This phone number will also serve for after hours and emergency assistance.
Walk-in payments can be made in person at the City of Zachary Utilities Payment Office, located at 4650 Main Street, phone number 225 654-6871. An on-line bill payment option is available for your convenience on the city website.
New Policy In Effect for Utility Service
Water and Gas Service Things to Know
- All water and gas metering devices and equipment required to properly measure water flow and regulate the pressure of gas supplied to the Customer shall be installed, owned, operated, and maintained by the City of Zachary.
- The Point of Delivery of water to the Customer shall be at the outlet side of the City of Zachary’s meter where the Customer’s piping connects to that of the City of Zachary.
- The Point of Delivery of gas to the Customer shall be at the outlet side of the City of Zachary’s meter where the Customer’s piping connects to that of the City of Zachary.
- The Customer shall provide, on his premises, an accessible and protected location for the City of Zachary’s metering and/or other equipment necessary to deliver water supplied by the City of Zachary. Should such a location become unserviceable, the cost of relocation shall be borne by the Customer.
- The Customer shall provide, on his premises, an accessible and protected location for the City of Zachary’s metering, regulating and/or other equipment necessary to deliver, regulate and measure the gas supplied by the City of Zachary. Should such location later become unsafe, the cost of relocation shall be borne by the Customer.
- The Customer shall not damage or tamper with said equipment and shall take measures to prevent others from damaging or tampering with any of City of Zachary’s equipment located on Customer’s premises.
- The City shall have the right of access to the Customer’s premises at any reasonable time for the purpose of installing, changing, reading, testing, repairing, or removing its equipment or for all other purposes necessary to render proper service to the Customer.
- Water and Gas Meter (monthly/daily/hourly) data logs are available at no charge, where compatible equipment has been installed (this technology change is ongoing and has not been fully deployed). The City of Zachary can offer an opinion as to the results but the City’s analysis is not binding. We recommend that a licensed plumber review all the results affecting customer consumption patterns.
Water and Gas Service Charges and Fees
- For new service connections: water or gas- Upon any request for new utility service, all past outstanding balances on the meter location sought to utilize for such services shall be cleared before water or natural gas service can be restored. This shall apply to all property owners (including lessors) in which services are in the name of another. Although the property owner will not be personally responsible for payment of any outstanding balance not in their names, no new service through this meter will be allowed until all unpaid utility balances to the City of Zachary connected to that meter are satisfied. Property owners should endure that all unpaid utility balances to the City of Zachary connected to that meter are satisfied before proceeding to request such service. There will be no exceptions to this policy. Please note: If you are currently on the cut-off or disconnected list and choose to make a payment online, you will not be reconnected until the following workday.
- When starting new utility services, you will be billed a one-time processing fee of $15.00.
- Non-payment fees, the charge will be 10 percent of the billed monthly total applied one day after the due date plus a $25.00 late fee if not paid within 8 days of the due date.
- For reconnecting a service after business hours and on weekends after disconnection for non-payment, failure to make a deposit, or fraudulent use, the charge will be $50.00.
- For each check given to the City of Zachary by the customer and charges back to the City of Zachary by the bank for nonsufficient funds i.e., NSF, the charge per occurrence will be $35.00.
- For the customer paying their bill by credit card, an additional convenience fee will be assessed for each transaction. This fee will be the actual fee charged by the 3rd party processor.
- For the customer paying their bill by credit card, and disputed or charged back to the City of Zachary, an additional fee will be assessed. This fee will be the actual fee charged by the 3rd party processor.
- A $2.00 flat monthly technology fee will be applied for all residential or commercial water or gas customers.
- $50.00 Level 1 water or gas tampering (remove locking device, etc.) All levels solely determined by Meter Department
- $150.00 Level 2 water or gas tampering (damage to valves, meter boxes or City piping, etc.) All levels solely determined by Meter Department
- $300.00 Level 3 water or gas tampering (using jumper device or a stolen meter/regulator, damage to meter transmitters, etc). All levels solely determined by Meter Department
- Level 4, Police and City Court involved damage, price will include cost for labor and materials to replace damaged equipment, court costs, etc. All levels solely determined by Meter Department
Senior Utility Assistance Program
The City of Zachary offers a Senior Utility Assistance program. The rate reduction is available to certain seniors within the corporate limits of the City of Zachary who meet the qualifications. To be eligible for the discount, applicants must have an active City of Zachary water/garbage account for their residence, and an individual water meter in their name or spouse’s name. The discount will not include sewer fees, late charges, interest, or other associated fees.
Applicants will be asked to sign an affidavit stating they meet the qualifications for the Senior Utility Assistance Program. Eligibility must be established every three years. To maintain eligibility, customers must sign a new application on or before the date of the previous application. The City of Zachary and its employees may audit to verify net annual income for the entire household associated with the account at any time during the existence of the reduced account relationship. Falsifying information or failing to notify a change in eligibility status may lead to termination of water service and recovery of past discounts.
Qualification for (36 month) application includes:
Applicants must be 65 years of age or older on or before January 31st of the year of filing the application for exemption.
Net annual income for the most recent year end for the entire household associated with the account is less than $36,000 dollars.
To apply, please pick up an application at the City of Zachary Utility Office, located at 4650 Main Street, complete and return to the same location. The application is also available here. For questions, please contact the City of Zachary Utilities/Billing Department at 225 654-6871 Monday through Thursday, 7am – 5:30 p.m.